Visitors to the Hofstatter Winery must thread their way through a maze of alleyways in the village of Termeno in the Southern Alps, arriving in a spacious square with a town hall, a bar and a church. The winery offices are housed in an impressive 16th Century building that was the post house for the Austrian Imperial coaches, along with the Schwarzer Adler (Black Eagle) Inn, belonging to Martin Foradori’s great aunt Maria Hofstatter. It was in the cellar of this building that her husband, Josef, produced his first wines. Josef’s nephew Konrad Oberhofer and his wife Luise took over the estate in 1942 and immediately set to work on realising the potential of the estate.
Konrad was the first vintner in Alto Adige to process different grape varieties in different ways, producing and naming the different resulting wines. In 1958 Konrad’s daughter Siegliende married Paolo Foradori, the heir to an established local family that owned excellent vineyards on the eastern slope of the Adige valley. The estates on both sides of the Adige river have been managed together ever since, under the name of the original founder, Josef Hofstatter.